The Sweet Smell of Romance

When the new Duchess of Cambridge walked down the aisle on April 29, the best-kept secret in fashion was finally revealed.
But while the world cooed over her Alexander McQueen gown, the perfume industry's noses were buzzing about what scent Catherine chose for her big day.
According to fragrance bloggers , Prince William's bride was wearing White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum, a little-known British brand (how do they know this?).

A description on the company website describes the £70 scent as 'fragrant as a vase of white flowers quivering in the breeze by an open window, this is a delicate and nuanced scent.'

It continues: 'The top note of coconut evokes a seaside location, while heart notes of muguet, ylang ylang and jasmine breeze bring a trio of white flowers into play.
'Amber wood underscores this capricious and light bouquet.'
Extremely verbose for what is in effect a floral scent.

The Illuminum brand was founded in 2007 by former celebrity hairdresser Michael Boadi. He previously styled stars including Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell before launching his first line of fragrances, called Boadicea The Victorious.
They were a huge hit with Mr Boadi's former clients - Michelle Obama purchased three scents in 2009 - and the Illuminum brand followed shortly after.
The company is unsurprisingly thrilled by word that Catherine wore their product.
Illuminum spokesman Michael Donovan told BaseNotes.com: 'I am so proud!'

It was also reported that the new Duchess of Cambridge requested her favourite scented candles and toiletries from luxury fragrance brand Jo Malone to be delivered to the Abbey.
A selection of candles, hand-washes and lotions was requested, specifically in citrus spring scents including Orange Blossom, Grapefruit and the ever-popular Lime, Basil & Mandarin.
These were for use inside the Abbey and for wedding guests using the royal bathroom and additional six VIP bathrooms.


I LOVE Jo Malone and stock up on her candles every time I go home to the UK. Will I try out this new perfume? I'm not sure. I'm not a floral girl when it comes to fragrances, more a citrus girl. But also I am not so easily influenced when shopping just because a famous name is attached to a product. I never buy celebrity perfumes etc.Maybe I am just a miserable "grinch". What about you? Will this new perfume be on your shopping list?
What is YOUR signature scent at the moment?

8 comments:

  1. wow, how do they find this stuff out, lol. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I will be passing on the princess's scent. Although I think gardenias are beautiful, I don't like the scent. When I was in high school, I went to a formal dance with a boy I didn't like very much. He showed up with a gigantic gardenia corsage that my mother pinned on my dress, right under my nose. I inhaled the scent the whole of that miserable and awkward night and now I associate gardenias with those feelings. Which is too bad, because I know it's a beautiful and popular fragrance. This is entirely too much information...but I felt compelled to share.

    Jo Malone, on the other hand, is likely the next brand of fragrance I purchase. I'm trying to use up my other stuff first so that may take a while.

    Right now, I am wearing La Parisienne by YSL. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Adrienne-love your story! Of course being the "savvy shopper" that you are I didn't expect you to buy a new perfume until you had finished your current;-) Hope you are slowly getting your "mo-jo" back.It will take time sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find choosing perfumes so hard so I stick to what I know... Chanel Mademoiselle & Vivienne Westwood Boudoir! I discovered Jil Sander No 4 last year and then it was discontinued!!!!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, I always forget to wear perfume!! I'm more of a lotion girl, I guess. But I do love nice scents. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The PR's send out a press release. And then the journalist fills a column space. I've done both but I hated PR, I don't have the frilly personality for it.
    I love bath oils but never wear perfume.
    I've always got one of Jo's on the go although it's not her company anymore, I keep forgetting that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear three Jo Malone fragrances in Spring and Summer: French Lime Blossom during the week, Nectarine on Saturdays, and Orange Blossom on Sundays. In the winter, I will wear Chanel No 5 or Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir. I also have a few Jo Malone candles - the Grapefruit is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you...a celebrity name attached to anything has never prompted a purchase from me. I have been a Chanel girl for so long, I don't see me changing scents any time in the near future. But how lovely would it be to arrange to have all of one's favorite scents surrounding them? Decadent indeed! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!